Friday, July 31, 2015

Time to Give Back: The Whale and Dolphin Conservation (WDC)

Last month, I talked about my desire to start a new series on the blog where a new charity or organisation would be featured in the hope of raising awareness to certain causes. For now I am calling it Time to Give Back as I am struggling to find a catchier name that really expresses the goal of my project. Now for July, I struggled to choose one organisation because there are so many worthy ones, but I ended up choosing the Whale and Dolphin Conservation (WDC).


The main reason behind my decision is that I was very inspired after watching a documentary on Netflix called Blackfish. I will not go in too many details about the film (I might do a review later), but it talks about killers whales being held in captivity and the deep impact captivity has on these beautiful animals. I know there are other charities that solely focus on orcas but other mammals like dolphins are also held in captivity and the current state of our oceans also deserve to be mentioned.

This is why I chose WDC, an international organization that fights for the protection of whales, dolphins and their environment. Over the years, the WDC has help bring their vision to life by advising on policies, campaigning, rescuing and creating conservation project all to protect these beautiful animals. You can read more about what the organisation stands for and their achievements here


I believe that protecting whales and dolphins is incredibly important, not only are they extremely intelligent, protecting them and their environment also means we are protecting our oceans. Letting nature be is primordial and when environments are protected, then fish and sea mammals can live freely and underwater ecosystems can start to thrive again.

You can make a donation to the WDC on their website and you can also support the organisation by adopting a whale. I highly suggest you have a look at their website to learn more about the issues at stake here. Also, every donation counts, even small contributions can make a different when you put them all together. This article merely suggests a cause I am passionate about, but finding ways to help the world is always a very gratifying thing to do. 

Picture credits: WDC website
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Daily dose of what I love. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig