Tuesday, June 30, 2015

My Favorite Ready-Made Stocks for Easy Soups

I love cooking and creating a meal from scratch is incredibly satisfying. However, sometimes you don’t have the time (or energy) to make something elaborate or wait hours for it cook. At times like this, I usually rely on lovely soups that can double-up as a meal. To help make these I find that having various stocks on hand is always useful, so I decided to share with you my favorite ready-made stocks.


I love chicken soup so I usually go for light broths that will go well with chicken but still have enough flavour to elevate a simple vegetable soup with rice or noodles (like my Healthy Soup). My favorite is the Pho Ga Pho Soup Seasoning by Bao Long. This is a Vietnamese stock cube made to use in pho soup (a Vietnamese specialty), it’s very light but flavourful and goes well in soups with or without meat. It contains spices like onions, garlic, star anise, clove ginger and cinnamon. I found mine in a local Asian grocery store, I suggested you have a look in yours or you can get it on Amazon.

Next is the Asian Home Gourmet Spice Paste for Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup, a liquidy paste that you simply add to water to turn into a broth. This one is saltier and I don’t like on its own, but with chicken it’s quite good. I usually use it when I make my Healthy Soup, but want a more filling version. It’s very simple, using this as the broth and adding a chicken breast sliced into cubes once the water is boiling. This one seems more easily available, I can get it from both my regular grocery and the Asian one. You can also get it on Amazon.

I love using both these stocks with my Healthy Soup when I need something quick and delicious. Obviously these are not as healthy as using home-made chicken broth, but in a pinch there are very convenient to have at home. I would love to hear about your favorite stocks and soup recipes. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Daily dose of what I love. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig