Saturday, May 30, 2015

Grey's Anatomy

I love television. In fact, love is probably not strong enough to describe how passionate I am about it. Nonetheless, some TV shows leave a more lasting impression than others. The 11th season of Grey’s Anatomy ended two weeks ago and now that the dust has settled, I thought I would share with you my thoughts on a series that is very dear to me.

I discovered Grey’s Anatomy when it was in its fourth season, and started watching season three after a friend recommended it. I still have her note explaining who the characters were because I hadn’t watched the first two seasons. I instantly fell in love with, so much so that as soon as I finished the DVD I had borrowed, I begged my mom to take me to the store so I could get the entire season. Waiting a whole weekend to see what happened next was just not an option.


The premise of the show is that it follows the lives of new surgical residents in a Seattle hospital. Through both their patients and glimpses of their personal lives, you learn and start caring for all the doctors. Life can be complicated but following Meredith Grey can put everything in perspective. I also found all the medical content interesting and as a native French speaker, Grey’s Anatomy greatly helped me improve my English and learn words that were not thought in English class.

I have always been fascinated by biology and so, I wish I had discovered the show earlier because it might have given me the extra push to become a doctor. I heard that quite a few people decided to go to medical school after watching it and I can see why, even though it is far from easy it also seems incredibly gratifying and interesting (you always have to keep learning). For me though, I felt like it was a bit too late to make changes to my school schedule, but had I had that push/motivation before, I would have focused more in math class.


Something else worth mentioning is the music used in the series, it is very unique. You can usually recognize the show simply by hearing its soundtrack because they only use a certain style of songs. You might discover new and less mainstream artists which is always nice.

Even though the more recent seasons of Grey’s Anatomy are not as good as they used to be, it still worth watching if only for those first seasons alone. It is one of those rare television series that will make you laugh and cry and change your perspective on things. I for one, feel much more comfortable being in a hospital (not as a patient) and actually find them calming in a strange way. They feel familiar so I don’t get nervous like other visitors might, because I have a better understanding of how things work there.

You can get Grey’s Anatomy on DVD on Amazon and in stores, 10 seasons are currently available and you can stream them all on Netflix or get them on iTunes. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Daily dose of what I love. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig