Monday, March 17, 2014

The Newsroom

One thing you’ll probably discover as this blog grows is how passionate I am about television. I just love getting lost in these well-crafted universes as well as how they allow us to connect with the characters and get more involved in the stories because there are so many episodes to enjoy. With this in mind I would like to share with you some of my favorite TV shows in the hope you’ll find something fun and new to watch.

The first one I’ll introduce you to today is one I’ve been watching quite a lot over the last few months: The Newsroom. The title really gives it away, the show revolves around what goes on in a newsroom and follow different protagonists that all work together to create the news (and by news I mean the best version possible). The story is set a few years ago and covers real news events like the BP oil spill and the Fukushima nuclear accident as the story makes its way back to the present. Two seasons have aired (season 1 is available on DVD) and a third season is scheduled to premiere in the fall.


I have to admit that this is my first foray into a HBO show that is not a big production like Game of Thrones and True Blood since Sex and the City and I honestly did not know if I would find it entertaining. Well let me tell you it surpassed all my expectations, it’s witty, fun and you can definitely feel the sense of urgency that comes with creating the best news coverage possible when something happens and information is limited. The fact that The Newsroom is so anchored in reality actually makes me long a news program like it.  The chemistry between Will (Jeff Daniels) and MacKenzie (Emily Mortimer) is undeniable and it really makes the show in my opinion, they are just so fun to watch together because it really does feel like they have known each other for a long time. You can definitely see that there is a lot history there. The rest of the main cast is also great with actors like John Gallagher, Alison Pill, Thomas Sadoski, Dev Patel, Olivia Munn and Sam Waterston. The combination of an amazing ensemble cast, a set of which the sheer size is impressive as well as the great camera work actually makes you feel like you are in a real newsroom (there’s not unrealistic embellishments there).

Even though I had my reservations at first, the sharp and funny dialogues have won me over and I cannot wait for season 3! I highly recommend you give this a go as I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

You can find The Newsroom in stores and online on Amazon, iTunes and the HBO website (HBO store and HBO GO).

P.S. It seems to currently be on sale for 25$ at both Best Buy and Future Shop (online and in stores).
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Daily dose of what I love. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig